Maintaining your patients’ health records is crucial in successfully running any type of medical practice. Whether you run a small, family-owned local doctor’s office or a large corporate hospital, it is important to keep a detailed record of each patient’s medical history.
Deciding on the best document management system for your practice typically depends on the size of the medical practice you are running. For organizations within the medical field, there are many advantages of an electronic document management system (EDMS) that will help your day run much more smoothly.
Five Benefits of Electronic Document Management
So what advantages does an EDMS present versus other records management options? Here are five ways in which your practice would benefit from implementing an electronic management process:
- Less Clutter – Probably the most obvious advantage of utilizing an EDMS is that you do not have to deal with the clutter and stress of a paper filing system. You are able to use your office space for other important business functions, and eliminate the hassle of finding a paper shredding service for your hard-copy documents on a regular basis.
- Ease of Access – When it comes to pulling up a patient’s file, an EDMS will save you a lot of time compared to a paper filing system. Rather than having to search through hundreds upon thousands of physical papers, a simple keyword search will pull up the record in seconds. In extreme situations, the extra time spent searching could be the difference between life and death.
- Protection from Loss – Managing a large volume of paper records presents a higher risk of losing some of your vital information. From small employee mistakes to natural disasters occurring at your office, there is much greater potential for your documents to fall through the cracks. Electronic systems backup your records so that the loss of your information never has to be a concern.
- Improved Patient Care – Keeping up with each patient’s specific needs can be quite difficult if you have to look through each of their files to make sure they are receiving the right care. With an EDMS, you are able to set up future reminders to keep all of your bases covered. This way, you will receive a notification when it is time to give a patient their medication, call to check up on a patient, or any other reminders you feel necessary.
- Fewer Prescription Errors – Your electronic document management system also helps you with prescribing any new medications to your patients. When entering the medication into a patient’s file, the EDMS will notify you of any potential risks. This can include any allergies that the patient may have, as well as any other medications that should not be taken alongside the new prescription.
As you can see, there are multiple ways in which your medical practice could benefit from an electronic document management process. Regardless of the reasoning behind your decision to switch over to an EDMS, Record Nations can help you along the way.
Call Us for Your Free Quote Today!
With so many different ways in which your medical practice can benefit from an electronic document management system, it would be silly not to make the transition. Record Nations can get you connected with the right EDMS for your unique business needs.
To get started, simply fill out the form to the right or give us a call at (866) 385-3706. You will receive free, personalized quotes from experts in your area that will help to make the transition as quick and painless as possible.