One of the most overlooked but essential parts of a business is the record management plan. Not only does a good record management allow for an organized and less stress environment; it is also mandatory in order to be in HIPAA and FACTA compliance.
That being said, a lot of businesses do not have a solid record management plan. There are 5 filing mistakes that are found in businesses.
The Top 5 Common Record Management Mistakes Include:
- Not tracking what’s being transported
- Only Indexing by date
- Not keeping track of locations of files
- Not empowering the end-user to search for documents
- Storing records in basements
If you think your company is in jeopardy of facing the consequences for these mistakes, it’s not too late to implement an effective filing system. There are many different ways to organize your documents. Listed, are 8 simple steps to manage your records.
Steps to Developing an effective Record Management Plan
Here are some of the main steps to create and maintain a successful and effective records management plan:
- Keep an inventory of all records
- Determine who is going to manage the records
- Create and document proper procedures
- Determine the best ways to store and manage your records
- Create a disaster recovery plan
- Training and implementation
- Maintaining and auditing the program
For an in-depth description of each step check out 8 steps to developing a management plan.
Get FREE Quotes on Records Management Services Today!
At Record Nations, we can help you create a records management program to manage or store your records, convert to an electronic document management system, or set you up with the proper professional records management company that works best for your business.
To get started, Fill out the form on the right of this page, or give us a call at (866) 385-3706. Within minutes, you’ll have several companies in your area to choose from.