A solid records management program is critical in keeping your company’s files organized, accessible, and secure.
Properly managing your records includes following the life of the file from the moment they are created to the the point of disposition.
Records Management Program: The Key Components
- Identify your qualified employees that will handle the planning and implementation of the records management program. This party should also be in charge of auditing the program over time to make sure that it is still relevant and effective.
- Once your records management team is established, a sufficient strategy can be developed for the program that can be easily followed, duplicated by future members, and meets all the accessibility and security requirements of your company.
- Implementation of a records retention policy is vital to keeping your company safe from any penalties or risks of data breaches. After obtaining a thorough understanding of the records and documents that have a required retention period based on your industry standards, you can create an outline that conveys how records should be retained (in accordance with any security standards) and how/when they should be disposed of.
- A training program for employees to learn the records management protocol with clear, actionable steps to take when handling any company records.
- Additional tools and resources that can make the records management program more efficient and/or secure should be considered. Many businesses utilize offsite records storage to house their records in a climate-controlled facility that includes security personnel to keep their files out of the way, yet still safe.
Making Records Management Easier
Creating a records management program from scratch can take some time and dedication to get right, but continually managing your records shouldn’t be a tedious task. An over-complicated program can lead to neglect and cutting corners which is a recipe for disaster in the long term.
Services like offsite records storage (as mentioned above) as well as document management systems and cloud storage can be viable solutions to inefficiency or security issues you may face.
Document scanning services are quickly becoming a popular choice for businesses looking to take the next step in efficiency. With scanning services, your records are scanned and converted to digital copies which are then stored on a hard drive or disk, making it easy to find, view, edit, and share these files quickly.
Learn How to Optimize Your Records Management Program Today
By using specialized document management services, your records management program can become more efficient, secure, and easier to manage.
To learn more about the services that are available and receive free, no-obligation quotes from service experts in your local area, fill out the form on this page or give us a call at (866) 385-3706.
Record Nations connects you with local document management services that have the expertise to choose the solution that will work best for your business.