A solid records management program is critical in keeping your company’s files organized, accessible, and secure.
Properly managing your records includes following the life of the file from the moment they are created to the the point of disposition.
Creating Your Records Management Program: The Key Components
There are five key steps to take while developing a records management program:
- Identify your qualified employees that will handle the planning and implementation of the records management program. This party should also be in charge of auditing the program over time to make sure that it is still relevant and effective.
- Once your records management team is established, a strategy for the program that can be easily followed, duplicated by future members, and meets all the accessibility and security requirements of your company should be developed.
- After you have a thorough understanding of which records and documents have a required retention period and for how long, you can create an outline that conveys how records should be retained (in accordance with any security standards) and how/when they should be disposed of. Implementation of a records retention policy based on your industry standards is vital to keeping your company safe from any penalties or risks of data breaches.
- Then create a training program for employees to learn the records management protocol with clear, actionable steps to take when handling any company records.
- Finally take advantages of the additional tools and resources that can make the records management program more efficient and secure. Many businesses utilize off-site records storage to house their records in a climate-controlled facility that includes security personnel to keep their files out of the way, yet still safe.
How You Can Make Records Management Easier
Creating a records management program from scratch can take some time and dedication to get right, but continually managing your records shouldn’t be a tedious task. An over-complicated program can lead to neglect and cutting corners which is a recipe for disaster in the long term.
Services like off-site records storage (as mentioned above) as well as document management systems and cloud storage can be viable solutions to inefficiency or security issues you may face.
Document scanning services are quickly becoming a popular choice for businesses looking to take the next step in efficiency. With scanning services, your records are scanned and converted to digital copies which are then stored on a hard drive or disk, making it easy to find, view, edit, and share these files quickly.
Learn How to Optimize Your Records Management Program Today
By using specialized document management services, your records management program can become more efficient, secure, and easier to manage.
To learn more about the records storage and management services and receive free, no-obligation quotes from service experts near you, fill out the form on this page, give us a call at (866) 385-3706, or contact us directly using our live chat.
Record Nations connects you with our nationwide network of local document management service providers who have the expertise to help you find the solution that will work best for your business.